BRIDPORT CHRISTMAS ‘CHEER-UP’ MARKET SATURDAY 12 DECEMBER
Despite Bridport Christmas Cheer being cancelled the volunteer committee that organises this popular annual event to launch Christmas in the Town has been determined to bring festive cheer to Bridport, and to help encourage everyone to shop locally this Christmas. Their work started with giving the Christmas Trees above the shops in East, West and South Street free to the retailers this year.
On market day on Saturday 12th December, they have organised for the market to be extended to allow additional local Christmas traders and charities to attend, expect Christmas produce, hand-made arts & crafts, mistletoe and so much more. The market will run from 9am – 4pm along South Street, West Street, East Street and Downe Street, also Barrack Street and the Lyric Theatre where the Farmers’ market will be taking place. Strict social distancing rules will be in place and there will be additional stewards to ensure that the rules are adhered to.
All our Town businesses have had a tough time during the pandemic which is why it is more important than ever that we all do everything we possibly can to support them this Christmas. The 12th December is the day to enjoy Christmas Shopping in Bridport!
As well as the amazing selection of Christmas gifts and goodies available from the fantastic selection of independent shops, the Christmas market in South, West, East and Downes Street and the Farmers Market in Barrack Street and the Lyric Theatre there is:
- Christmas music will be piped out over Bucky Doo Square
- Morris Dancing (social distanced) outside Bridport Antiques
- Bridport Sea Cadets will be collecting gift donations outside of Peacocks for Bridport Disabled Carers and Friends Club
- Small Christmas Tree display outside of the United Church
- A handcrafted, illuminated Nativity scene in the Lyric Theatre
- Bridport Museum’s Shop is open from 10am – 1 pm selling unique and unusual gifts and stocking fillers.
- Take part in the Bridport Carnival’s misplaced fir cone competition
- Bridport Tourist Information Centre is selling Christmas cards for good causes
- In Bucky Doo Square at 11 am The High Sheriff of Dorset, George Streatfeild, will be presenting High Sheriff Awards to thank members of the Town Council and community for their work supporting the vulnerable during the pandemic.
- Prizes for the best stall and shop window
And of course, great hospitality in the town’s cafes, restaurants, pubs and hotels!!
Thanks to the generosity of Crowdfunder there is also an online Bridport Christmas Cheer market https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/markets/bridport
BRIDPORT CHRISTMAS CHEER UP SANTA’S GROTTO at the Arts Centre on Sunday 13 December 10am – 2 pm (Slots must be pre-booked)
Even in the pandemic Santa is coming to town! He will have a free gift (generously donated by Toymaster) for every child that visits him. All the appropriate COVID-19-security in place to keep your family safe.