Are YOU Bridport’s best amateur baker?
Bridport Food Festival wants to know!
This new competition, as part of Bridport Food Festival, is FREE to enter and open to amateur cooks of all ages.
There will be cash prizes and certificates awarded, plus a choice of cookery book from the cookery book swap stall.
Entries for each bake will be split into 16 & Under and Over 16 age groups.
- Free standing Bridport Hommity Pie (18-20cm diameter)
- 1 jar of homemade fruit jam
- Dorset Apple Cake (18-20cm diameter)
- Vegetable Cake – using one vegetable in the ingredients (18-20am)
- 3 medium “sausage rolls” – can be made with pastry of own choice and include any filling, eg vegetarian, fish, choice of meat etc.
- Zesty Lemon Cake – Made to the following recipe ( Also available on the official Bridport Bake It! Leaflet available from the TIC)
ZESTY LEMON CAKE
175g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for the tin
175g golden caster sugar
3 large eggs
3 large unwaxed lemons, zested, plus 4-5 tbsp juice
250g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
100g greek yoghurt
400g sifted icing sugar
Plus your choice of decoration
- Heat the oven to 170c/150c fan/ gas 3. Butter a deep loose-bottomed, 18cm cake tin and line with baking parchment.
- Beat the butter and caster sugar together with an electric whisk until fluffy and pale in colour. Crack the eggs in one at a time, beating well after each addition, then stir in the lemon zest. Fold in the flour, baking powder and salt, then fold in yoghurt.
- Spoon the mixture into a lined tin, smoothing the top. Bake in the centre of the oven for 50-55 mins, or until golden brown on top and firm to the touch. Cool in the tin for 10 mins before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- When you are ready to decorate, put the icing sugar in a bowl and beat in enough lemon juice to create a thick icing. Spoon the icing over the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides a little. Add decoration of your choice.
All entries to be taken to the Bridport Bake It! tent at Asker meadows, between 9.30 AM and 10am on Saturday 15th June. All entries to be presented on white paper plates (except jam), together with a typed copy of the recipe.
Each application will be given a unique number, this needs to be attached to the entry.
Entries will be judged on taste and appearance.
Entry forms can be found on the official leaflet or can be downoaded from the Food Festival website
Completed forms to be returned by Monday 10th June, either via email to email@example.com or dropped into Bridport Tourist Information centre.