Bridport Town Hall
The Town Hall is the focal point of Bridport. It is a Grade 1 Listed Building dating from 1786 on the site of the earlier St Andrew’s church. The Architect was William Tyler. The clock and the cupola, or dome above it, were added to the roof twenty years later and made the Town Hall noticeably higher than nearby buildings. The area around the Town Hall was known as The Shambles, where a number of butchers had their stalls. A butcher’s shop is still situated on the ground floor of the building carrying on the tradition.
On permanent display are a number of paintings by the artist and teacher Francis (“Fra”) /Newbery, Director of the Glasgow School of Art 1886-1918, depicting aspects of Bridport’s Rope and Net heritage. Also, memorabilia from two Royal Navy vessels that have borne the name of Bridport.
It is open all year and is FREE to visit. Please check with the Tourist Information Centre on the ground floor for opening times, the TIC is open 9.00am-5.00pm (April-Oct) 10.00am-3.00pm (Nov-March). Main access during times The Town Hall is via a lift in the TIC, making the Town Hall fully accessible.
Events in the Town Hall
- Twelfth Night Celebrations – January
- Community Fair – February
- Hat Festival Craft Fair – September
- Dorset Heritage Week – September
- Christmas Cheer Bingo – November
- Christmas Cheer Craft Fair – December
- Folk Festival Fundraisers – Throughout the year
All events subject to change and will only proceed in-line with Government restrictions on Covid-19.
Please visit our events page to view more events happening in The Town Hall & around Bridport.