skip to Main Content

The Literary and Scientific Institute Book

£9.99

The Literary and Scientific Institute Building in Bridport

The building in East Street, Bridport was built in 1833  as a Mechanics Institute, but was used as a Literary and Scientific Institute from 1855 to 1950.

During World War II it served as a canteen for US troops before the invasion of Europe. For forty years till 1997 it housed the County Library. Since then it has been largely empty and its condition became increasingly precarious. Over the last eighteen months, thanks to the National Lottery , and many other charities and private donors, it has been both restored and reinvented for the 21st Century.

This book tells that varied story.

Published to celebrate the restoration by the Trustees of the Bridport Area Development Trust.

By T.P. Connor

Price: £9.99 plus £1.50 postage

2 in stock

Description

The Literary and Scientific Institute Building in Bridport

The building in East Street, Bridport was built in 1833  as a Mechanics Institute, but was used as a Literary and Scientific Institute from 1855 to 1950.

During World War II it served as a canteen for US troops before the invasion of Europe. For forty years till 1997 it housed the County Library. Since then it has been largely empty and its condition became increasingly precarious. Over the last eighteen months, thanks to the National Lottery , and many other charities and private donors, it has been both restored and reinvented for the 21st Century.

This book tells that varied story.

Published to celebrate the restoration by the Trustees of the Bridport Area Development Trust.

By T.P. Connor

Price: £9.99 plus £1.50 postage

Back To Top
Search
X